Sunday, March 4, 2012

Guys and Stuff

Nope, this post isn't about dating or relationships or anything like that... it's just about guys and stuff. Today is a great day to talk about guys... because they are not here! I managed to arrange some alone time by encouraging the guys to go out of town to see family. It's been awhile since I truly had the camp to myself, and as soon as they left, I celebrated with this Facebook post. (I loved Jeff's response.)




AND... the man cave is now all mine!
 ·  · 




I did indeed disinfect the guys area (although decided to not use propane and instead went for milder things like baking soda, quaternary, and a fan blowing 24/7). But other than that, what did I do Friday evening?

-Played video games
-Lifted weights
(What? That's not girl time!)

It did turn out to be an relaxing weekend, with getting things cleaned, reading, watching a movie, going to church, and just relaxing. It was a nice change to being with men all the time.

One of our "last day of class" photos featuring the Rivercrest team from L to R: Jeff, me, Eli, Jon, Mike and Adam. The other three people in this photo are fake.

Since the EMT class has ended, things have been pretty slow. I guess that's good because it gives me time to pursue other things. For one, I can share the below post that I've been working on for awhile now. Here it is:


Since moving to Nebraska in August, I've had the opportunity to work with five other live-in interns: one female, and the rest male. Since I have been the only girl here for awhile now (except for the occasional drop-in of Christina the part-time intern), I've noticed some interesting habits the guys have formed. Here are a few funny enough to share:




1. Whenever they hear you working at the kitchen counter or smell something cooking, they'll nonchalantly come into your room and start a conversation. Then when you mention you're making food and they can have some if they want, they're like "Oh you're making food? I totally didn't know. But I guess if you really want me to eat..."


2. You get to teach them a lot of things. When Eli moved in, he was helping me move my bed out of what was to become his room. Since we had to move the bed frame at an angle to get it through the door, we took the mattress off first. Eli got really confused when he saw the bed skirt; he couldn't figure out what it was or why it would be beneath the mattress. I told him it was a bed skirt, and when I still got a blank stare, I said "it's what female beds wear." He still questioned the point of a bed skirt, and what should male beds wear if female beds wear this? I explained it covered up the ugliness that was the bed frame legs, and even referenced the Victorian era where all furniture that had legs (tables, chairs, etc), had to wear a skirt so that they wouldn't "give men the wrong idea". I still don't think he understands why I would have a bed skirt, but I don't think he ever will.


3. You get to listen to the issues they have with their girlfriends. It's especially fun to try to be understanding when you really want to side with the girlfriend. Giving advice "from the perspective of the girlfriend" is also fun, especially since I've never been anyone's girlfriend and so my perspective is probably about as good as theirs. Oh, and another fun thing along these lines is listening to one guy give girl advice to another guy. Did I ever mention that the only adult women friends I have are just the girlfriends of my guy friends? 


4. A couple weeks ago, Eli was spending the night in Omaha and I was bored. I decided to steal a bunch of his boxers and freeze them. There was one pair I didn't freeze, and I left it with this note:
A few letters have gone missing; the last line should read "They are so cold".
A couple of days later, I found that same note in my room, attached to my bed with a hunting knife (hence the tear in the middle of the paper). When we discussed this situation later, it turned out that he didn't even know what I did with his boxers; he figured I gave them away to campers or something. I laughed and opened the freezer door, wondering how he got that out of the note.


5. I was also the only female in the EMT class. Our birthing class was especially fun when I was trying to calm  the "mother" (aka Jeff) down, to which he/she responded "How would you know what this feels like? You're not a... oh wait, you are a woman." I was often singled out in class for things like "Jes would be the best person here to talk to a child" or "Jes is the only one allowed to call an elderly person 'hun' because the rest of you would get smacked".


6. Pink was never a favorite color of mine, but since moving here, pink has kind of been used to label things as mine. A few weeks ago, there was a sale on work gloves at Menards, so Jeff got me a pink and yellow pair, "Not to feminize it, but just to let everyone know that these are YOUR gloves".


7. When going to Minnesota, I didn't want to unpack my school backpack, so I took the smallest suitcase I had. Adam asked Eli and I why we had so much stuff for a two-day trip. I used my cop-out "I'm a girl", but that didn't fly with him. So then I changed my answer to "Well, my goal was just to bring less than Eli", which I did indeed manage to do. Last week Adam admitted that, as far as females go, I'm one of the better ones to take on a road trip. That's good, considering that I'm one of two females he has to go to Wisconsin with next weekend. 


8. One of the Rhoads' daughters, Mikayla, was at camp the other day. She and I were in the sound booth talking, and ended up talking about the Duggar family and their 19 Kids. We got in a few disagreements about the order of kids, the ages of them, and which ones were twins. As our disputes got louder, Adam and Eli, who were just outside the sound booth, looked at each other and shouted "No one outside of that room you're in cares!" As time went on, our disagreements worsened, and I ended up taking her down and pinning her to the ground. She's the only one around here who I am actually able to pin. (Fortunately, the guys are gentlemanly enough to not get into physical fights with me!) 


9. Spontaneous Nerf gun battles. 'Nuff said.


Those were just a few random ponderings; I'm sure you'll read more about my misadventures on this blog soon.

One of the things I did this week was move my desk into my room. My desk used to be next to the fridge and I was tired of extremely disorganized people (*coughjordancough*) spilling their food on my desk and not cleaning it up. So here's a little tour of our humble abode. Since we'll only be living her for three more months, this is probably our final (finally) arrangement.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! It's very encouraging to get a message and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible if need be!