Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gap Year Scholarship Award Winner

It's one week until I leave for Nebraska. There's so much to do before I go, but I think it will definitely be worth it because I am so excited to go. And just a few minutes ago, I read an e-mail that made this whole experience even more exciting.


About a month ago, I applied for the Gap Year Scholarship from Test Drive Your Future (http://testdriveyourfuture.com/). The Gap Year Scholarship was designed to help support students who are taking a year off of formal education to learn in a more hands-on way to "test drive" what they want their future career to be. That's exactly why I'm going to Camp Rivercrest, so I had every reason to fill out an application and send it in.


Back to the e-mail, here's what it said:


Aloha Jessica,      
Congratulations! You have been chosen as one of this year’s Test Drive Your Future Gap Year Scholarship winners.  We could not decide between our top two favorite applicants, so we had to split the scholarship this year between you and Ilana Gelb. You are being awarded a $XXX scholarship (your check is in the mail)! 
We were especially impressed that you found an opportunity to truly “test drive” so many of your future interests in writing, marketing, and camp programming. We applaud you for taking some time after your first two years of college to explore your interests in a hands-on way before pursuing a future career. It truly warms our hearts to know that there are young people who care as much as we do about making a positive contribution in this world.
I'm really thankful not only for this scholarship, but that I was even accepted as an intern in the first place! I can't wait to see what this year will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! It's very encouraging to get a message and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible if need be!