Sunday, January 8, 2012

One Week Off, One Week On

So I haven't written since I took a Christmas break. I'll tell you about that. And I'll also tell you what's been going on since I got back.

The Wednesday before Christmas was my last day in Nebraska. Kristjun had already left for home the day before, and we really didn't have any work to do, so Eli, Jordan and I just stayed at camp for most of the day. Eli finally got our fireplace working, although it was really smoky. But hey, now we can burn cardboard instead of walking all the way out to the cardboard dumpster (I'm not really sure if building a fire actually takes less effort, though). In the evening, we went to the Relevant Student Ministry Staff Christmas party, which involved an expensive restaurant grilled cheese sandwich and a super-fun gift exchange. I got a package of shuttlecocks and a rubber mallet, which was a pretty good exchange for the book and t-shirt I gave that ended up with Sarah. After that we went to Eli's house because he lives in Omaha and I needed to catch my train in a couple of hours anyway. He let me borrow a few of his movies, which came in handy during the long train trip ahead of me. I finally boarded the California Zephyr a little after 11pm. I settled into a seat, met a family next to me that was also going from Omaha to Sacramento, and then fell asleep.
One of the many beautiful and unique views from the train.

The train ride was a really great experience, especially since I never took a train trip before. The scenery was so diverse, since we went through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California. It was nice and snowy in the Rockies, and in California, a park ranger came on board to tell us about the history and natural resources of the area. I also liked meeting the people. I already mentioned the family I sat next to. I ate breakfast in the dining car one morning, and they always try to sit four people to a table so that you can meet new people. I sat with a retired couple and a woman in her 30s, and it was really fun to talk about our experiences and what we do. I also spent some time in the observation deck. One day, I was reading my EMT textbook, when I noticed the lady sitting across the table from me was looking and my wrist and my shirt. "Can I ask you a question? Who is first?" I realized I was wearing my I Am Second wristband and t-shirt, and so I told her that Jesus was first. "That's what I was hoping you'd say!" she exclaimed.
The decorations at the Sacramento station- much different than the DMV-style train station in Omaha!

After two nights on that train, I ended up in Sacramento. It was hard to see the town while carrying all my luggage, so I mostly just stayed at a Starbucks near the train station so I could im people. My next train didn't leave until after midnight. This train ride wasn't as good of an experience because both passengers and staff were pretty cranky. But it didn't matter too much because I slept almost the whole way and ended up in Oregon at 8 am on Christmas Eve!

The week I spent in Oregon was great. I got to see my family, celebrate Christmas, eat out, go to church, and do crazy things with my friends who were also in Oregon for Christmas. As much fun as it was, I was glad to go back to Nebraska on New Year's Day (although I still miss everyone and wish they were here!). I took the plane this time, and even got an upgrade to first class on the second leg of my flight. First class is pretty much the same as coach class was twelve years ago, but it was nice to get refreshments, coat service, and I didn't have to pay for my luggage. I got to Omaha at 10, but Eli was in Des Moines and couldn't pick me up for a few hours. I couldn't move around much since I had a 45-pound bag without wheels, but the airport did have free wi-fi and I had Netflix, so I was perfectly content for awhile. Eventually I did get picked up, and I didn't end up going to bed until 3ish. The next day, I didn't wake up until after 11 the next day. When Jeremiah said "mornin'" to me, I responded with "mornin'...if you can still call it that." But even though I missed out on the morning, the afternoon was a VERY important part of the day... it was bowl game day! Both the Huskers and the Ducks made it to a bowl game, and their games were back-to-back. Unfortunately, the guys realized that a new month had just begun and they had quit their cable AND internet for that month, so instead of watching the games at their house, Eli and I went to Bailey's house. It was sad to see the Huskers lose, although the fight that two of the players got in was fairly entertaining. We left at the Rose Bowl's halftime to head to camp, although it was very nice to hear that the Ducks won.

The next day was our EMT lab day, so that took up most of the day. In the evening, Shawna invited me to sub for her bunco group. That was a lot of fun, and I got some good food out of it! I realized in Oregon that I pretty much never have any "girl time" with others (the only girls I ever really see are my friends' girlfriends), and even if it's with a bunch of middle-aged women, I'll take it!

Then the next day was a work day, where we had to clean up after the painters that came in before Christmas. It was a pretty stressful day since we had that, student ministry AND a test the next day to study for, but it got even crazier. At the end of my lunch break, I went on Facebook and the notification in the corner said "Elijah Sturgeon's birthday is today". I yelled to the other room, "Eli, is it really your birthday?" and it was. I told him I was mad at him for not telling me and that I would get back at him for this. So all afternoon, while cleaning the lodge, I formulated a plan.

After student ministry, we stopped at WalMart for party supplies. I had originally intended on a Pink Fairy Princess theme, but there was nothing fairy-like, so it turned out to be a pink princess party. I bought pink princess cupcakes, pink streamers, pink balloons, and princess-themed presents. We also had a crown, scepter, confetti and pink plastic at camp. When we got back, Kristjun and I decorated his car with balloons, streamers, and plastic, and then we went inside and threw confetti on Eli and gave him the cupcakes, crown, scepter, and presents. We didn't spend too much time on it since we had a test to study for the next day.

The good news is that I passed the test, and I'm really starting to get into this whole EMT thing. After class, we had a little work to do in the lodges to make sure that they were clean before the group came. Friday was a much more relaxed day as far as work went because we had so much done the night before. And this weekend has been pretty mundane; I've just been at camp the whole time (but there were some meals so we got free food--which is WAY better than no food at all!). I've been reading, working on Girlz 4 Christ, and just resting up for what is hopefully another non-stop week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! It's very encouraging to get a message and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible if need be!